Hershey's Kisses

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Hershey Riverquest Safarivenutre

We took Hershey in the canoe for the first time yesterday - it was a lovely day and the North Saskatchewan River was quite calm, so we couldn't have had better conditions. Nonetheless, I was skeptical that she would be able to sit calmly in the boat - I honestly thought she would bail out right away! But happily, she seemed to enjoy the ride quite a bit... That is until we started paddling heavily. Hershey puked. In the canoe. It was gross. As I was up front, there was nothing I could do to stop that, because I couldn't keep an eye on her, and unfortunately she was out of reach for Chris. Yuck.

After cleaning up a bit, we continued onwards. We likely paddled about 6 kms, which was quite good. We got to a little island and some shallow water and Chris got out of the boat to moor it. Hershey took this opportunity to get the hell out of the canoe! She jumped in the water and wandered around the small island for a while with Chris not far behind her. I thought we wouldn't be able to get her back in the boat after this, but she ended up jumping back in with no problems. She did end up puking a total of 2 more times, but Chris warned me and we were able to get her to "go overboard" and avoid messing up the canoe even more!

I know this has been a gross post - but in all, I think we were lucky to have Hershey enjoy her first canoe ride. She loved putting her nose in the water and watching the oars go back and forth. She loved being able to see the banks and watch the seagulls flying overhead. Next time, we'll try her out on a lake where there won't be as much turbulence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home