Hershey's Kisses

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

And for the Pret-a-Porter Summer 2005 line...

Hershey is shedding her undercoat. It was alarming at first because of the significant difference in furballs on the ground between Sunday, when the house was clean, and Monday.

Hershey came back from the kennels and was very excited to see me; she seemed lighter than normal, but perhaps that was just because I forgot how little she is. She did well in the wagon and was very excited to get home. We played outside for a bit, and I made sure she got to see around the house to remember everything. We both enjoyed a nap in the late morning.

After lunch, we went back to the first vet to get the stitches removed from her foot. I was also hoping to deal with the complaint I had made and looking forward to the rebate I was promised. Hershey was again very good in the car and the waiting room, but then made a bit of a pee on the ground when it was time to bring her into one of the observation rooms. I didn't like the vet's behaviour towards me (ignoring me) again, and he was very strange with the dog - using an absurd amount of baby talk and cuddling her very closely. I don't do that very often myself and she's ours! He was also wearing magnifying goggles - which I can understand is needed for removing sutures, but it freaked the dog right out - it looked too strange to her. Anyhow, after that was done, we were ready to get out of there, but the stupid vet kept us for a bit longer while he gave Hershey a treat... lots of little treats. And this was DURING me telling him we have trouble with her getting car sick. I am NOT impressed.

We get back into the car and are going to head home, I do take the opportunity to have a drive-through coffee on the way back. We are doing well in the car until I see her duck down out of sigh from the rear-view mirror for a second, but she pops right back up to look around.

Lo and behold, Hershey puked in the car. She miraculously only puked on her blanket and not on the floor or walls of the very expensive rental I had; but what I was more concerned about was the consistency and volume. It essentially looked like she puked up a double batch of cookie dough. This didn't look right. Later on, with Chris' help while on the phone, we decided they must have started feeding her kennel dog food and not enough water; that plus the stupid vet's treats, the freak-out of coming home finally and another vet trip must have been too much.

After this, I decided it was a good time to give Hershey a bath. I have never attempted this on my own, but thought it was important in case any kennel cooties were on her. The bath went quite well, but drying her was more difficult - it took a very long time to get her dry-ish, and even then her fur was super matted. I was worried I had done something wrong and had screwed up the dog!

After brushing a full garbage pail of fur off of her, I decided to let the hair dry thoroughly and then comb it out. I started this morning and have taken out essentially her full undercoat - she's got a top layer of longer hair-like fur, and the undercoat is shorter, downy fur. Because it's the summer, she's finally shed it, and holy moly, is there ever a lot of fur! I've been sweeping and Swiffer-ing the house almost non-stop and still there is fur all over the place (thank god we have hard wood and tile floors!) I figure the worst of it is passed now, I just need to keep up her grooming. Also, this means that they didn't brush her at the kennel as it shouldn't have all started at once.

So Hershey's been incredibly tolerant of my combing her, she looks much thinner and feels smoother now too. She's all ready for summer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home