Hershey's Kisses

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

T-8 hours before lift-off

Hershey goes to the kennel in 8 hours - I have been referring to it as the "doggy resort" as between Chris, Hershey and myself, she has the nicest stay away from home out of all of us!

I have prepared her food and snacks, except for carrots and maybe cheese (for her medication), bandage stuff (in case it is needed) her tooth cleaning chewie and her paperwork. I will need to take her blanket and her cow stuffie when she gets up tomorrow, along with her leash and I think we'll be good to go.

We're going to use the Animal Medical Centre on the south side of town. I'm hoping it'll be good - our friends have used it and were very happy with the service they received. The only crummy thing is that they aren't open on Sunday, so while I will be back in town around dinner time, I won't get to pick Hershey up until Monday morning. While I might go see a movie and enjoy a quiet evening after the big conference I'm attending, I would prefer to spend the night in with my dog.

In other news, Hershey's city license came in - it is a relief that she is now "official". The City website was awful - it did not provide confirmation that your submission was received, nor did it make any sense when the payment step came up (for some reason, the first year is free - I'm not going to complain!) She now has 2 tags, one for her rabies shot, and now the license number. She also has her tattoo, and will soon be getting a "If lost, please call ..." tag too. She is getting all blinged-out!

We spent most of the day together; she came to the office with me as I was expecting a package - that did not fare well. The mail man did not read the note about knocking I had put on the door and was quite surprised and frightened about finding a dog in the office! We were better prepared when the delivery guys came later on, however she still growled and barked. I think we will need obedience classes in the fall for sure. We did have the opportunity to go on a walk and play in the park between thunderstorms in the evening. She was full of energy and ran with me for a good 10 minutes. She was much better on the leash after that run; I think a more stable routine will do her well - we'll be able to provide that to her starting in August. She's also been good about her paw - I took the bandage off when we got home from the office so it has aired out all day. She has not been chewing on it or licking it, so things should heal nicely.

And something else happened today that was hilarious. While I was working at the kitchen table, Hershey started sniffing the floor like she was after something. After a bit of chasing around, she finally stood still, eyes fixed to the ground with intensity, and then schmucked something as she squashed it with her front paw. I didn't know what she had got, until she kind of sniffed at the spot, and then backed up. She had killed a spider (yay! I don't like spiders) but didn't want to eat it! Just like mom!

Anyhow, since I will be away from the dog for the next few days, there won't be any postings until next week. Sorry!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home